Rm 214, Bldg 103
Center for Genomic Integrity
DNA replication | DNA repair | Cancer Therapy
DNA is the building block for the genome and provides the blueprint for almost every aspect of life. DNA can be damaged by endogenous assaults such as replication errors, oxidative stress or by exogenous challenges such as radiation or toxic chemicals. Failure to repair such damage results in cell death or the accumulation of changes in DNA that can cause genetic diseases including cancers or can lead to premature aging.
Research at the IBS Center for Genomic Integrity is concerned with the many DNA damage response and repair pathways that can sense and repair damaged DNA and signal to cells that there is an urgent problem to be addressed. We also study the link of these pathways to other parts of cellular metabolism, including DNA replication, cell cycle regulation or transcription.
– 2014-present Distinguished Professor, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, Ulsan, Korea
– 2014-present Director, Center for Genomic Integrity, Institute for Basic Science, Ulsan, Korea
– 2013-present Adjunct Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, KAIST, Daejeon, Choongnam, Korea
– 2013-2014 Adjunct Professor, School of Nano-Bioscience and Chemical Engineering, UNIST
– 2011-2014 Adjunct Professor, Division of Molecular and Life Science, POSTECH
– 1994-1999 Ph.D. Molecular Biology, Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Brown University, Mentor: Eric A. Hendrickson Ph.D.
– 1991-1993 M.S. Molecular Biology, Seoul National University, Mentor: Sang Dai Park Ph.D.
– 1987-1991 B.S. Zoology, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
– 2017 Genetic Society of Korea Scholar of the Year 2017
– 2014 Scientist of the year Award from KSEA and KOFST
– 2013 Outstanding Service award from KSEA Washington Metro Chapter
– 2013 US Government Service Award
– 2012 Director of the year 2012 award from KSEA
– 2008 Bea Singer Young Investigator Award
– 2008 US Government Service Award
– 2006 Society of Biomedical Research/ Chong Keun Dang Award
– 2002 Sewoohue Award for Research Achievement
– 2001 James Kerr Award for Research Excellence